1. You can connect to our network with play.snw.io.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, I hope you're having a great day!
    Dismiss Notice

So what now?

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by FlamingPaw, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlamingPaw

Owner
    93/132

Minecraft account: FlamingPaw
    Hi everyone, @FlamingPaw here. It has been just over 6 weeks since @drtshock had stepped down as the owner of ShockNetwork and I took over. Many of you have been wondering what is going to happen and what changes, if any, will be made. First, however, I wanted to share some things about me and where I come form in terms of minecraft.

I started with minecraft in 2011 when a good friend of mine introduced me. Multiplayer had not been officially released yet, but being the tech people we were, we set up a small server for our friends and us to have fun on. Near the start of 2012 I found an online server, HexGaming, and started playing there. After a while I put in a staff application and was accepted, and eventually became the manager of the Minecraft division of HexGaming, working on Factions and Prison servers.

In August of 2012, HexGaming shut down and I started my own server, Milkshakecraft (soon re-named to ConflictRealms). Around January of 2013 I was introduced to SwarloCraft by a former HexGaming staff member known as Dalie_Winterwolf. Dalie brought me on as a moderator on Swarlocraft and for the longest time @drtshock had no clue who I was. He almost removed me from staff because of it!

SwarloCraft went through a few merges until finally becoming ShockNetwork in September of 2013. I ended up being promoted to an administrator on the server and in January 2014 I shutdown my own server to dedicate more time to ShockNetwork. And here we are now.

Woah, in my head that was much shorter. Anyway what I am getting at here with my backstory, is that I was with Trent for quite some time and will do my best to not let ShockNetwork slip through the cracks. I have been updating a clone of the network to 1.9.4 over the past weeks. It’s taking a while due to me having a full time job, many plugins being outdated, or outright abandoned, and having no Java developer. I also don’t want to release content that is just slapped together and rushed.

I have reached out to a good friend of mine, and past ShockNetwork developer, @Nick to help out with the Java development so we can get things like Invasion updated, amongst other things. Maybe he will be able to bring back some of the classic gamemodes like Deadlife. (My personal favorite gamemode from ShockNetwork to this day).

During my days in HexGaming I was part of a team creating, at the time, a unique Gamemode was never released, however, due to the final closure of HexGamming. I kept all the documentation and notes from this gametype and plan to release it with ShockNetwork. This gamemode is an adventure server, with a cross of prison, factions, roleplay, storyline, and arcade type side events. You can read up on this new gamemode at the document here:

I have enabled commenting on this document, so feel free to leave your suggestions!

As for Invasion, Factions, Skyrealms, and Creative, I do plan to change up how they work to accommodate Mojang’s EULA and to create an optimal experience for everyone. The bulk of these changes will most likely not happen until 1.10, where I will reset the entire network in a ShockNetwork 2.0 release. The servers will still be updated to 1.9, but will have the same feel as they do now for the most part. I am also toying with the idea of having a Classic ShockNetwork, running 1.7, that has some of the older servers and gamemodes but that won’t be supported as well as the current version of the network. I have also been investigating Pocket Edition servers, and will most likely have some released for ShockNetwork 2.0. (Maybe even cross platform support!)

I will be making bi-weekly updates on the forums and twitter on the progress of things to help be more transparent with you all. It’s been rough waters for most of this year and I hope to steer things out to calmer waters.

So hopefully this helps to shed light on what’s going on right now, and the plans for the future. See you around!

• Winner x 10
    • Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  2. Moonless

Administrator
    163/263

3. Berry

Absolutely Shocking
    163/263

Minecraft account: BerryBlue_
    #3 Berry, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    Firs- Aw darn you Moonless. I took too long writing this message :(

It's great to know what you are planning for the future of this great server!! I love this new idea of adventure!! Sounds like a lot of fun!!!

Thank you so much for all that you do for this server and all of the dedication and time you give it!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. J0ry

93/132

Looks awesome!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Nick

Developer
    93/132

Minecraft account: SirNickParks
    It gonna be fun

• Like Like x 5
  6. PureEx

Regular
    13/66

Minecraft account: PureXT
    I can't wait! These all sound like great ideas!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. MindTheBlocks

93/132

that IGN tho xDDD lol....
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 1, 2016, Original Post Date: Jun 1, 2016 ---
    Thanks for the update Paw, love the new game idea!

8. Berry

Absolutely Shocking
    163/263

o_O

9. MindTheBlocks

93/132

his Minecraft Account name Berry

10. Berry

Absolutely Shocking
    163/263

Ik .-.

11. smashur123201

SNW Legend
    63/66

Minecraft account: smashur123201
    Great ideas but a few questions
    What about past ranks?
    Unbanning people?
    Eula?
    Paw being my dad?
    We need answers

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mario12space

SNW Legend
    93/132

Minecraft account: Mario12space
    Cool, for the 2.0 thing are all ranks staying?

Also, I think the 1.7 network will likely have more (specifically on Factions) because old players will have an interest and because PvP is better balanced on there.

Also, wb Nick.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LightningBone

SNW Legend
    93/132

Minecraft account: LightningBone
  14. Mario12space

SNW Legend
    93/132

Minecraft account: Mario12space
    #14 Mario12space, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    Waiting until 1.10 isn't a good idea as since they just started doing snapshots for 1.10 less then 2 weeks ago, the likely release time for it is around December or January, based on the past release dates of 1.8 and 1.9. Personally I'd aim for late August or September because waiting until 2017 is going to further drain out remaining players as they leave due to boredom.

Also when going to 1.9 please make it so the pvp is like 1.7, not the trashy shit that it is in 1.9.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Shay

Absolutely Shocking
    93/132

Minecraft account: yehs
    Paw you are the best owner we've had in ages.
    You've made more progress within 6 weeks than Trent has probably made in a year :adorable:

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. Bluesers

Absolutely Shocking
    93/132

Minecraft account: Nyoala
    I'm pumped for this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Chata

Regular
    18/66

Minecraft account: Espada
    paws not your dad and never will be for one and i dont think anybody should be unbanned if they were banned for a actual reason they should stick to it

18. FlamingPaw

Owner
    63/66

Minecraft account: FlamingPaw
    Current ranks will stay as is, and will be moved into the new system when it is ready.
    For bans, they will stay as is until the 2.0 release. At that point only globally banned players will stay banned.
    SNW will change to be EULA compliant most likely before the 2.0 release.

• Like Like x 1
  19. lampple3

SNW Legend
    43/66

Minecraft account: lampple3
    That looks awesome! But, I have one question, if the shock 2.0 completely resets and we loose our islands, plots ect., will we still have them in the 1.7 server? Also, in the reset, will we still have the premissions and kits that we have now or we will loose them because of the eula?

20. KamuiGakupo

Absolutely Shocking
    93/132

Minecraft account: Marcela
    As 1.7 is being added, i recommend you guys use Cheat Smasher for people that use injector clients like Spook and Vape :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.