1. You can connect to our network with play.snw.io.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, I hope you're having a great day!
    Dismiss Notice

ShockNetwork - Use play.shocknetwork.net to connect!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by drtshock, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drtshock

Founder
    3/66

Minecraft account: Trent
    For the past few months @hawkfalcon, some other staff, and I have been working on setting up ShockNetwork.

What is ShockNetwork?
    It is owned and founded by me, co-owned by @hawkfalcon and run by the other awesome staff members I have found over the years. For now, factions will be the only thing under the network. But I will be adding my survival server along with some minigames we have been coding over the past month to offer a huge variety of things for you guys to do. All of this will be linked through a hub server. Our plan is to start rolling out the minigames and hub server Oct. 5th.

Why change the name?
    Well I always hated the name "obduro," plus I've had the shocknetwork domain for a while and it sounds awesome :) Anything with "craft" in it just sounds silly. Plus Scrappy owns all the domains currently related to obduro and this way I will have sole control over it and we don't have to worry about anything switching them in the future.

What about Scrappy?
    Well as most of you are probably well aware, he has not been pulling his weight ever since the server started. We agreed to a 50/50 share of work and profits. So far he has been taking his money, but not putting in his work and it's been aggravating me. I have been spending countless hours on the server each day only to have him say that he has exams for 5 months and can't help out at all. While this is my one-sided point of view, it is still unacceptable to you guys, the other staff, and myself to have someone taking money from the server but barely putting in any work.

The domains
    You'll have to use play.shocknetwork.net to connect to the server now. I have no control over any current domains (including obdurocraft.com) and as such any server with this name or using this domain is not affiliated to me and I will not be managing any such servers. This will undoubtedly lose us players that have always used those domains to connect, but it is a loss that I'm willing to overcome. That means that I need your guys' help with telling everyone you can about the name and domain change.

Who will be running what?
    The hierarchy for now will be as follows:
    drtshock - owner. oversees entire network. runs factions.
    hawkfalcon - co owner. oversees and runs minigames / hub.

I will be having a head admin for both survival and factions. JoeSheep is head admin of survival and I will be head admin of factions until we decide who should fill that role.

We also have @lol768 helping out as a developer :)

Factions
    Everything will be the same for you guys on factions. You are not losing any items, ranks or anything. We still have ranks from the old nova, and ranks that you have here. The only thing that is changing for the average under-the-radar factions player is the domain you use to connect.

You're just doing this to be greedy!
    Well no, I'm actually not. I've been sick of seeing money from this server go into someone's pocket that hasn't been doing much. I have put almost all of the money I have made from the server back into this server, or toward presents for staff that have been around for a long time but have never made any money. I've even donated to different charities in the past. I'm not here to make this into a full time job and make thousands of dollars off of it; I'm here to have fun running a server, provide a fun environment for you guys to play, meet some awesome people, and make sure people aren't leeching off of others.

• Like Like x 20
  2. hawkfalcon

Newcomer
    13/66

Minecraft account: Hawkfalcon
    I look forward to meeting you all on the new server! We are currently making some really awesome minigames, and I can't wait to share them with you. This is definitely a change for the better, and if anybody has any suggestions or feedback as we progress, please let me know.
    Thanks, and see you guys soon!
    hawkfalcon

3. WomboCombo

SNW Legend
    28/66

So will scrappy still be a part of the server or will he be demoted?

4. drtshock

Founder
    163/263

He is gone completely. Basically what has been going on over the past 5 months, just no money or fancy owner tag for him.

• Like Like x 2
  5. DynamoK

Newcomer
    1/66

is voting up??

6. Nate

Regular
    6/66

Yes! So called this! Will our ranks be transferred?

7. DynamoK

Newcomer
    1/66

Its the same server.... just with different ip read what drt said.

8. WomboCombo

SNW Legend
    28/66

I see it from your perspective he has put NO EFFORT what so ever and scrappy exams everyday for 5 months I know for a fact you have 3 big exams and those are separated by 4 months scrappy you're a lair and a lazy bum. You turned into slips :(

9. royal_cookie9748

Newcomer
    1/66

I can help with this. I use to own a server like the one you are now. Just make a domain to connect and make portals connect to another.

10. drtshock

Founder
    163/263

Working on it myself now :3

Nothing in game has changed.

Sadly, true.

11. WomboCombo

SNW Legend
    28/66

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pablo

Newcomer
    1/66

i will FOREVER

13. Alexn0910

Newcomer
    1/66

Now this can be interpreted two ways. One, Drt got tired of Scrappy and decided to take full power, leave hawkfalcon as a "co-owner", such as Octavian kept the Senate, but not really giving the Senate any power. Or you can interpret it the other way. Drt saw Scrappy wasn't pulling his weight and replaced him with a new consul, hawkfalcon. Only time will tell. Will Drt turn this server around or will history repeat itself and lead to the overall downfall of the server?

14. drtshock

Founder
    163/263

I feel like I explained myself pretty well in the OP. Hawkfalcon is helping me with games, not factions.

Survival has been up for almost 2 years now. My servers don't go under. I'm in it for the long haul.

15. WomboCombo

SNW Legend
    28/66

No body replies to my suggestion sanssuggestion sans

16. Alexn0910

Newcomer
    1/66

I may be wrong because I wasn't there, but didn't factions start to decline? Isn't that why we merged with Scrappy? Plus, there is a first for everything.

I don't mean to be unoptimistic. I hope it doesn't go under. Just giving the heads up, and stating my prediction to be true. Good luck!

17. Alpha_Death212

Newcomer
    1/66

Are the new portals going to be 2 different servers? Or will it stay factions and survival?

18. drtshock

Founder
    163/263

We will have multiple servers but there will not be portals. You will still be able to connect directly to factions if you'd like.

19. IceFire

Regular
    3/66

Minecraft account: TheMagicPin
    #19 IceFire, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    Are the mini games gonna be well known games or something new? What I mean by "Well known games" is like spleef.

Also my brian can not take this, you need to change the look of the website. seriously, I have a headache.

20. drtshock

Founder
    163/263

We'll have some well known ones, as well as the custom ones we are working on. We want to have a unique aspect to our server that way :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.